By Rosemary Marchese
Physiotherapist and mum of 3 fit kids
Chicken & Vegetable Soup
My Family absolutely enjoy this Chicken and Vegetable soup. This soup is brimming with so much goodness. This soup is so hearty but light and delicious.
Serves: 6-10 Prep: 30 min Cook: 60 min(pot) / Slow Cooker: 4 hours
I’m not strict with quantities – you can play around with quantities to suit you.
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1-2 small potatoes, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Small handful of parsley, chopped
- 1kg chicken drumsticks
- 4-6L chicken and/or vegetable stock (a combination is nice).
Optional extras: You can use just about any vegetables. Sometimes I throw in some turnip.
- Fry onion in olive oil in a pot or slow cooker.
- Add in carrots, parsnips, celery, potatoes, tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes (don’t let them get mushy because you still have to boil them).
- Add chicken and stir through, adding a little salt and pepper.
- Add in vegetable and chicken stock until all ingredients are covered.
- Add in parsley.
- Cook on low heat until cooked through (I put mine in a slow cooker on low heat for 4 hours, but sometimes I used a pot and it takes about 50-60 minutes). Stir the soup from time-to-time during cooking.
- Once the soup is cooked, remove the chicken drumsticks and take the chicken off the bone. Shred and put back into the soup and heat through.
Disclaimer: All recipes on this website are intended for information purposes only. None of the information is intended to provide individualised, prescriptive advice or direct dietary advice. Questions related to individual dietary circumstances should be directed to your general practitioner or an accredited practicing dietician.