After being in the fitness and health industries for over 20 years I have lost count of how many times I have been asked about the best way to lose weight after having a baby. I have always loved this topic, even way before I had children. But now I can speak from experience, as well as from a professional point of view. Having had to lose my ‘baby weight’ three times, each after three non-voluntary caesareans, I am now what you could call ‘quite experienced’ in this area. I have heard it all, but by far the most common reported obstacles are lack of time, lack of energy and lack of motivation.
I hear you ladies! Your body has changed and you are trying to accommodate all these changes in your life. But you CAN get back into those jeans and get those energy levels back. It’s time to re-claim your mojo!
Here are my 7 rules that I follow:
- Exercise 4-5 days per week for at least 30 INTENSE minutes – no fluffing around! Give it your best shot for 30 minutes.
- Exercise for 1 hour once (maybe twice) per week. For me that is usually Saturday morning. I can get out in the sun and welcome in the weekend!
- Include 2-3 sessions of resistance training. For me at the moment that includes 2 circuit training sessions per week or sometimes a Pilates session. If I am at the gym I aim for relatively low resistance and high repetitions (14-18).
- I MUST exercise in the morning. NO EXCUSES. Get up 30 minutes earlier and just get on with it! Lay out clothes the night before.
- Take EVERY OPPORTUNITY during the day for INCIDENTAL EXERCISE. For me this could include squats while I hang the clothes (yes, I look ridiculous), running up my stairs and going for a short walk during the day.
- I follow the Australian Dietary Guidelines and keep my food intake in check every day. PORTION CONTROL is essential!
- I plan my weekly family meals. EVERYTHING gets included…breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Treats and flexible meal times are also included for the weekends!
Set yourself a goal with a timeline for achieving that goal. Believe that you can do it and then just do it. A goal without a timeline is just a wish. If you want it, then plan for it and go for it! Good luck!