Scoliosis for Personal Trainers
Approved by 2CEC by Fitness Australia, this course is a short online course for fitness professionals who train clients with Scoliosis. It is a ‘Do No Harm’ approach whereby the client may be trying to keep fit and healthy and the Fitness Professional is empowering them to make this happen. Enrol now.
An introduction for Personal Trainers who want to ‘do no harm’ to clients with scoliosis.
Accredited for 2CECs with Fitness Australia, this is a basic introductory course into the world of scoliosis for fitness professionals. The focus is on ‘do no harm’ and equipping yourself with some useful knowledge to apply in your day-to-day work. It’s a short course! You have three months to get it done but it could easily be done in a few hours if you choose to.
The Learning Outcomes of this short, introductory course into scoliosis and personal training include:
- i. Define lordosis, kyphosis and scoliosis in relation to different sections of the spine.
- Identify the commonly affected areas when there is an increased or decreased lordosis or kyphosis.
- Identify the commonly affected body areas of a scoliosis client.
- Recognise healthy postural variances of the spine (including pelvis) between clients.
- Identify the exercise implications for clients with an increased lordosis or kyphosis, including the need for referral.
- Identify the exercise implications for clients with a decreased lordosis or kyphosis, including the need for referral.
- Identify the exercise implications for clients with a scoliosis, including the need for referral.
- Establish goals and exercise plans or modifications for clients with postural concerns when working with a physiotherapist, that do not compromise physiotherapy treatment.
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge in relation to a ‘Do no harm’ to clients with scoliosis.
ii. Define the difference between a structural and functional scoliosis.
iii. Identify the potential signs of a scoliosis or other postural concerns warranting referral to a physiotherapist.
The overarching arm of this course is to provide a ‘do no harm’ approach. PTs are often the first person the client with scoliosis sees. PTs should know how to do no harm in these situations but without necessarily discouraging the client from exercise unnecessarily.
This course will be delivered entirely online. The course is divided into two modules.
- Module 1: What is Scoliosis?
- Module 2: Exercise Prescription and Scoliosis
Each module is broken down into topics. Each topic has a lecture and a short quiz. Each quiz must be completed successfully to complete the course.
Module 1 Lecture 1: Introduction to Scoliosis
Module 2 Lecture 1: Exercise Guidelines for Scoliosis
Module 2 Lecture 2: Scoliosis Implications for the Personal Trainer
In total, the following work needs to be completed by the student to attain the certificate:
- Reading of a short introductory document.
- Listening to each lecture (varying time lengths, e.g. 20).
- Completing a short quiz successfully after listening to each lecture. There are three quizzes in total. The final quiz incorporates questions based around case study examples for better application to the workplace.Each quiz is anticipated to take less than approximately 30 mins, however everyone is different. However the student can complete it in a shorter or longer time frame.
- All work must be completed within three months of payment for the course.